Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To provide an efficient tools management service for process maintenance team to achieve effective maintenance repairs and identification and replacement of defective tools.
- Ensure that waste generated by process maintenance is segregated and disposed of as required.
- To manage the safe operation of all tool room equipment including i.e., presses, surface grinders, power hand tools and safety gadgets/equipment etc.
In This Role You Will
- Daily issuing of tools and portable hand machines.
- Manage and arrange tool store.
- Ensure that tools checked out from tool store are returned.
- Ensure tools are issued clean, safe to use and in an acceptable state to use.
- Ensure that consumables stocked in tool store are replenished as needed.
- Ensure tool containers are kept clean and organized.
- Periodic and proper accountability of tools to Workshop supervisor.
- Ensure that tools and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) attrition rates are held to acceptable levels.
- Issue Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) items to employees.
- Do not issue replacement items unless it is exchange for non-usable.
- Repair or arrange to have repaired damaged or worn tools, discard tools that are not feasible to repair and report to supervisor.
- Maintain and repair oil dispensing system, air regulators/lubricators, hose reels, pumps, and Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBC’s)
- Empty waste oil container as needed.
- Ensure shop is kept clean and hazard free.
- Keep yard area clean and free of rubbish.
- Clean or arrange to have cleaned all hydro-carbon.
- Maintain workshop floor.
- Inspect wash pad and report to supervisor.
Audits and checks
- Check and ensure safety colour codes on all the tools are certified and updated.
- Audit tools box given out to mechanic/electrician.
- Ensure a total and effective tools record keeping, both manually and electronically.
- Monitor Oil Water Separators; ensure function of unit do not allow container to overflow.
- Inspect emergency eye wash.
- Ensure oil bund container is kept as clean and valve under lock.
- Provide monthly report on damage/broken and missing tools (forms/out of service tag) and report to supervisor.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Accept personal responsibility for health and safety.
- Attend safety meetings.
- Adhere and comply to all stipulated Maintenance control regulations.
- Ensure all toolroom operations are in compliance with safety requirements promoting the company’s safety culture.
Your Training, Skills And Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- National vocational Trade Certificate(mechanical) or relevant certification in Mechanical Engineering.
- Knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Knowledge of the work management process.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in mechanical engineering field.
- Ability to identify tools.
- Computer literate.
- Good organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to multi task.
- Must demonstrate a positive attitude and strong, dedicated work ethics.
- Knowledge of International Organization for Standard (ISO) procedures – relevant to department.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Safety conscious.
- Detail focused.
- Technically inclined.
- Takes initiative.
- Results driven.
- Team Player.
- The position is located in the Akyem mine site.
We understand no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to email@example.com .
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.