Aya Institute for Women, Politics and Media
We are looking for a person for the role of Operations Director responsible for strategic planning, leadership, and management of the organization in consultation with the Board. The OD will oversee key tasks related to programme development and implementation, fundraising, partnership building, and management of the organization.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Operations Director performs the following functions:
- Participates with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization.
- Initiates and plans the execution and evaluation of programmes, projects and services, in accordance with the organization’s goals, strategy, financial capacity, and legal/contractual agreements.
- Identifies and evaluates strategic areas and opportunities for collaboration, partnership, programme expansion or contraction.
- Continues to build new relationships and partnerships, in Ghana and around the globe that support the vision and mission of the organization.
- Represents the organization and executes a set of programmes and strategies to enhance the organization’s profile.
- Helps to develop, maintain, and support a strong and diverse Board of Directors; serves as an ex-officio member of the full Board and its committees; and provides the Board with the means to carry out its responsibilities.
Operational Planning and Management
- Develop an operational plan that incorporates goals and objectives working towards the strategic direction of the organization.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization.
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its clients, Board and Funders.
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate.
- Ensure that the programmes and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization’s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the organization’s programmes and services.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution, and evaluation of special projects Program and Staff Management
- Provides leadership to staff and partners to enable the successful implementation of the programs, projects, and activities of the organization. This includes hiring, evaluation, training, changing staff and/or roles and responsibilities, promotions, salaries and benefits, and other issues such as considerations of equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace and conflict resolution.
- Leads with a positive, encouraging, and professional work environment, and prioritizes open communication.
- The Operations Director strengthens and refines all aspects of communication – from web presence to publications to external relations – with the goal of creating a strong brand.
- They also develop effective systems to track progress and regularly evaluate programmes to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the Board, funders, and other constituencies.
Financial Planning and Management
- Work with staff and the Board to prepare a comprehensive budget.
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization.
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fund-raising plans and write funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization.
- Participate in fundraising activities as appropriate.
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board.
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization.
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditure of the organization.
- Ensure that the organization complies with all legislation covering taxation, financial reporting requirements and withholding payments.
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the organization’s work and to identify changes in the stakeholder community served by the organization.
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, media, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization.
Demonstrate Corporate Responsibility
- Always act in a manner consistent with the organization’s values.
- Comply with the standards of conduct and all applicable policies and legislation.
- A postgraduate degree (Master’s or PhD) in a related field, such as law, gender studies, human resources, development studies, marketing, media and communications, management, leadership, or equivalent experience is required.
- Postgraduate degree (Master’s or PhD) in a related field, such as Law, Gender, Human Resources, Development, Marketing, Media and Communications, Management or Leadership, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of project management experience in one or more sectors, including NGOs, IGOs, academia, government, or business.
- 2+ years of leadership or senior officer role.
- Embraces considerations of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in all aspects of work.
- Demonstrated success fundraising with public and private funders around the world.
- Excellent systems thinker; demonstrated agility in connecting diverse issue areas.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain diverse networks or coalitions, particularly among universities, government agencies, funders, corporations, IGOs, and NGOs.
- Experience with managing non-profit finances.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Previous experience with M&E and impacts reporting a plus.
- Experience in development and execution of strategic plans at a high to moderate-level within an organization.
- Experience collaborating with multiple stakeholder groups.
- Strong research background, highly analytical, with an ability to manage and interpret data.
- Ability to guide or transform quantitative and qualitative data sets into compelling reports and visuals.
- Experience in fundraising and donor relations with both small and large-scale donors.
- Capable of working independently and in a team environment, delegating appropriately to manage workload.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Gender Equality.
- Works well in a multi-functional and multi-cultural team.
- Fully proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel.
Please email a PDF of your resume and cover letter to the following email address: email@example.com
Consideration of applications will begin as soon as possible. The position will remain open to applications until it is filled. All applications will be held in strict confidence.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org